Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Position
The Government of Tonga’s strategic vision for the future delivery of public services is aimed at streamlining its organizational platform to better deliver more efficient and effective public services for the people of Tonga. To help achieve this aim, the Government of Tonga seeks to appoint a Chief Executive Officer for the Public Service Commission.
Applications are welcomed from individuals who possess outstanding strategic thinking capacity, demonstrated leadership capability and superior management skills. Government CEOs are integral in supporting a productive and sustainable Public Service as Tonga continues its path towards constitutional reform. The CEO role is particularly suited to individuals who are commercially focused, skilled in supporting innovation and providing direction to substantial change management initiatives at the policy, systems and process levels.
The role will work closely with the Chairman of the Commission and Commissioners of the Public Service, relevant Minister and central agencies, not only as Chief Executive Officer, but also in defining and developing major organizational reforms aimed at optimizing the return on Government’s investment in services and programs. High orders of communication, negotiation and influencing skills are essential, as is a demonstrated track record of effective resource management.
Essential skills required of the advertised CEO role will be to:
• Provide the Chairman, Commissioners and Minister with high quality policy and program development advice
• Drive strategic planning and resource management accountabilities
• Provide executive direction to professional, technical and operational teams
• Identify improvements in service delivery and efficiencies in cost to government
• Lead implementation of organizational & system changes to improve productivity
• Model cross-Ministry and whole of government collaboration to ensure high standards of communication and customer service
Term of appointment: Contract term of up to four (4) years.
Remuneration: Based on the Government of Tonga, CEO Remuneration package.
Re: Vacant Position at the Office of the Public Service Commission
The Office of the Public Service Commission advises the following vacancy is available for interested applicants within and outside of the government service;
One (1) Principal Assistant Secretary, Remuneration Division.
$30,192 - $36,008
All interested applicants are required to submit their applications together with relevant supporting documents and CVs and to be addressed to the Acting Chief Executive Officer, Office of The Public Service Commission, Nuku’alofa and to be received no later than 4:30pm, Thursday 03 December, 2015.
Public Servants who wish to apply must submit their applications with the endorsement of their respective Chief Executive Officers.
Output 5 of the PSC Office pertaining to the Performance Management System reads as follows:
“Facilitate a government wide understanding of the use of Performance Based Systems and its competencies for decision making and development of a performance based Public Service”
The priority of the Division for the month of September 2015 was to:
- Finalize Pre-Implementation Check for MFAT, Palace Office, MIA, MoFNP, MoH & PMO;
- Provide on-site assistance for MET and MEIDECC as may be required;
- Complete the Pre-Implementation checks for the Ministries abovestated to confirm their Implementation status
- Provide relevant PMS Trainings as requested by line Ministries (e.g. PMS Awareness Training, Recap Training, Supervisor Training etc.);
- Implement the rollout of PMS in the Outer Islands (i.e. Vava’u and ‘Eua initially);
- Convene the 1st PMS sub-committee meeting for the FY 2015/16;
- Continually follow-up progress of PMS in line Ministries and assist where necessary.
As such, the following provides a brief outline of the activities carried out by the Performance and Contract Management (PCM) Division in the month of September 2015;